Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sewing Projects

I've been sewing up a storm this week trying to finish some projects I've promised to people. 

First of all, I've been meaning to make a microwavable heating pad thing for awhile, but when I crawling into our freezing cold bed last week I made a realization:  I could heat up a rice bag and put it at the foot of the bed before I get in (cue the angelic chorus or mental light bulb).  So I got a nice, 2lb bag of rice and sewed it into a little bag, then made a tiny pillowcase for it so that it can be washed.  A minute or two in the microwave will be perfect.  No more freezing feet.  YES!!!

And once again, Thanks Rach for the birthday fabric!

Additionally, I told Dillon's coworker that I would make him a reusable sandwich wrap similar to Dillon's one that I made him last Christmas.  Since I will be taking sandwiches to work with me (YAY WORK!), I whipped up two.  They are basically a cut up plastic Ziplock bag and two pieces of fabric, sewed into a flat square with plastic on one side (and the right side of a piece of fabric showing through it) and fabric on the other side.  Add velcro to each corner.  To use, you place a sandwich at an angle on the square wrap, fold opposite corners to each other and fasten. Then, fasten the other corners and it holds a sandwich perfectly!  Hope that makes sense, here are some pictures to help:


I used the manliest fabric I had for Brian's, and the prettiest fabric I have for mine.  There is no reason not to make everyday things beautiful.  And yes, I left the pretty selvedge edge on purpose!




                     Have you made anything lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment