Friday, December 6, 2013

One hour project

I have a lot of things that I need to do.  Tis the season for decorating, baking, cleaning, more decorating, working, buying gifts, and growing a baby (20 weeks today-woohoo!).  Tis NOT the season for sewing things I won't need for another 5 months.  But I had a nice chat with another pregnant friend on Tuesday and got pretty excited for our impending bundle of joy.  Looking through my pinterest page dedicated to all things baby, I found a project that I've been waiting to make for a long long time.

You see, I've been hoarding things.  For the past year or two I've been buying the occasional thing for the day when we have a baby of our own.  Also, if I've made any baby items for preggo friends, I probably made two and kept one for myself.  That's not weird, is it?  (Sidenote: maybe I'll go through my stash to highlight all my goodies here someday!)

Anyhoo, I picked up some laminated cotton fabric from JoAnn's while it was on clearance once, with the thought that I'd make something for a baby one day.  Well, yesterday was the day.

This is the project I made, a portable changing pad.  Although I didn't follow the instructions because I just used what I had on hand.  Meaning my changing pad is longer than hers with no pocket, and I didn't use any stabilizer.  I used scrap fabric for the back (the polka dots), so I just cut the largest rectangle I could get out of my scrap.  Then, I used batting for the middle to give it a bit of cush instead of stabilizer because I misplaced my stabilizer stash.  Yes I have a stash of that.  No judging!

I just made a sandwich with my batting on the bottom, cotton facing up, and then laminated cotton facing down.  It slid right through my machine, no problem.  I didn't even use a new needle like every tutorial told me to.  Though I have heard quite a few people have trouble with this stuff sticking and pulling. The most ingenious and cheap solution I saw was to add a layer of tissue paper  which you rip off after sewing. 
(here you can also see the sheen of the laminated cotton fabric, which is definitely wipe-able, waterproof, and still impressively soft)

Well I just used a 1/4ish seam allowance all the way around my rectangle, turned it inside out, and sewed right up close to the edge to finish it off.  I LOVE the tiny finishing seams, they make me feel like a professional.  According to the tutorial, I was supposed to add a button with a loop for fastening it closed and fold and sew a short section to create a "pocket" for things like wipes and diapers, but once it was finished I didn't think it would be long enough for a whole child (especially once they are a bit older) with that section folded (I would lose about 13 inches of length to put baby on).  So I just left it flat.  Also, I just now realized that if I wanted it to actually hold a diaper and wipes, I would have to unfold it at home and put in a diaper and wipes container which, lets face it, I would never do in advance.  I'll be carrying the diaper bag around anyway.

I successfully completed this in 1 hour 15 minutes.  Meaning I failed my attempt to get it all done in an hour.  But I did run out of bobbin thread and have to wind it mid-project.  And find my supplies buried in the basement.  If you have a dedicated sewing space, I'd say you can easily make it in an hour.

Much less than the the time dedicated to making this bambino in my belly for whom I have to keep using the bathroom.  Every 45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment