Friday, June 19, 2015

Garden update 2

Hello all!  I'm in a snippy mood today because I was hangry after fasting for an insurance-required blood draw (that was cancelled this morning--grr).  But now I've had my coffee and and am trying to make the best of it. 

How about a garden update to cheer us all up? 

First of all, here's the miraculous before and after from putting mulch in our front flower beds.  "oohs" and "aahs" welcome. 
BEFORE


AFTER


I laid down DeWitt landscape fabric because I heard it is the best and because I never want to have to do it again.  Then covered it with black mulch to match the rest of the front of the house.  In the back, we use free wood mulch from the city so it doesn't match. Quite the difference, eh?

BEFORE
AFTER

And yes, it's time to talk about the raised garden.  In past years we've been in apartments so I've done my best to grow things in pots and containers, with mixed results.  This year is my first year with a real, in-the-ground garden and I feel like a gardener.  Just look at this!


Just ignore the dirt looking section on the right.  Thats where our spinach was


The tomatoes are looking wonderful, and we have a handful of cherry tomatoes started already.  The beans are huge, as are the peas, and both have buds.  The onions are looking wonderful, and the cucumbers and pumpkins are on their way.  Unfortunately, I still cant tell the difference between kohlrabi plants, broccoli plants, brussels sprouts, and weeds.  yes.  So I have quite a variety growing and I just plan on letting them get a little bigger before I commit to pulling any of them. 




Also, when we installed the garden and filled it with soil we did our best to level it.  We failed.  The spinach corner is lower and as a result is drowning our poor spinach.  I've pretty much given up on it, but it's an easy fix for next year. 

That's it, that's all I've got.  Now, more coffee!


No comments:

Post a Comment